By committing to support the law school at the $10,000-level annually, Cornerstone Club members have an immediate and direct transformative impact on students, faculty and leadership at Carolina Law.
Impact on Students
• Roughly half of Carolina Law students receive scholarships, and the average scholarship award is approximately $10,000. This means one gift at the Cornerstone Club-level can provide a scholarship to a deserving student who otherwise would not have one. It is imperative that we continue to increase our scholarship offerings to remain competitive with our peer law schools, as we lag in this category currently.
• In recent years, unpaid and underpaid internships have become increasingly common. Bolstering scholarships enables students to take summer positions based on their interests, not their debt.
• Increased scholarship support attracts more competitive applicants, which can raise the average LSAT score and GPAs of our student body. This, in turn, improves Carolina Law’s standing in national rankings, which enhances the post-graduation employment prospects for current students and strengthens the reputation of the Carolina Law degree for alumni.
Impact on Faculty
• Increased unrestricted funds provide the Dean with the flexibility to retain talented, sought-after junior faculty that are frequently recruited by peer institutions.
• With increased support, faculty have the means to travel to and present at conferences, further establishing themselves as leaders in the academic community on the national and global stage.
• Increased support ensures that faculty can conduct the rigorous research that keeps Carolina Law at the forefront of legal scholarship.
Impact on Leadership
• Lowering debt allows students greater freedom to pursue careers as leaders in service to the state of North Carolina, as well as in other communities where they settle throughout the nation and world.
• Increased summer grant funding and experiential learning opportunities offer students more chances to work with, and be mentored by, local lawyer-leaders.
• Cornerstone Club members have taken a leading role in ensuring an exceptional, accessible legal education for Carolina Law students. Modeling philanthropic leadership is critical in training the next generation of lawyer-leaders.